Happy Pancake Day!
Today we wanted to share with you this super easy gluten free savoury pancake recipe that uses gram flour (chickpea flour), a perfect high protein and all round nutritious flour.
On our retreats food and holistic cookery form a key part in bringing nutrition to life, making it real and applicable to everyday life. Here is what just one of our previous retreat guests had to say about our food:
For this recipe it is hard to give quantities as it really is the texture you are looking for. It is such an easy recipe just aim for that runny batter consistency, not too thick and not too watery.
These pancakes are great used as a wrap for salad leaves and pickles, sauerkraut, vegetables and dips.
* that really is it on the ingredients, you can then add to this as you want. I like combinations or turmeric, black pepper and rosemary, or cumin seeds and chilli flakes or fennel seeds also work well.
* Add the chickpea flour to a bowl with a pinch of salt
* Add water and stir together well until you get a loose runny batter that pours off a spoon
* Be sure there are no lumps, blend the mixture if there are and you can’t get them out
* Add any additional ingredients that you want, as suggested above and mix well, taste for seasoning
* Leave the batter to sit for a minimum of 30 minutes – if you wanted to start to ferment your batter you could add a squeeze of lemon juice and leave at room temperature overnight
* When ready to cook use a flat based frying pan or skillet
* Add coconut oil or ghee and melt in the pan over a medium flame
* Use a ladle to pour the mixture in to thinly cover the base of the pan – you don’t want this mix too thick
* Leave the batter to cook until you see bubbles appearing on the top surface, DO NOT try to move it until you see this and you can see the underside is cooking and becoming fry, otherwise you will destroy the pancake! Remember that without gluten based flour, milk or eggs this batter is more delicate
* When you can slip a spatula underneath the pancake easily it is ready to turn, flip and cook the other side
* If you are making a batch store in a warm oven on a plate and cover with baking paper whilst you cook the rest
For more pancake recipes head on over to http://www.